Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Welcome!

Hello,

My mother is convinced that the the way of the future is through the Blog. She is most probably right. Blogs are a great way for people who enjoy writing and enjoy a certain subject to get their views out there. That being said, I doubt her visions of my Blog turning into a feature-length movie or the next great Canadian novel as has been seen with the recent success of "Julie and Julia" are as realistic. Still, I've had the idea for this blog in my head for a while. I am currently studying Religion in University, am a Ceremonial Magician and Faery Witch, a member of the local Pagan community and a mythology enthusiast. I love myths. I, like Joseph Campbel, believe that myths inform how we interact with people, with the universe and with Deity.

This last bit, as should be obvious by now, is something I feel very strongly about. Now don't take me as one of those crazy Creationist weirdos who doesn't believe in science. I totally believe in science, up to and including the Theory of Evolution and the Big Bang. However, I do not find that myth and Religion (or to use the safer term "spirituality") are incompatible. Did the YHVH Elohim create the world in seven *days* or seven *stages*? Did Adam and Eve *actually* exist? Were there *only* two people created at the beginning of the world? Honestly, I don't think it really matters, because this emphasis on the stories being "real" is kind of missing the point, which is that they are real on a totally different level. They are real in that they speak to inner spiritual Truths. They are real in that they give us a story and people and places and events that we can relate to.

So that is what I will attempt to do here: explore the inner Truths of the stories of the Gods and Goddesses that human beings have looked to throughout history. I may, at the end of a post, give aspects of the deity in question that practicing Pagans can look at for their own devotional work and pathworking. Feel free to ask me questions, point out my fallacies (with respect and tact please, no flames), get into debates and generally spark conversation. It will distract me from the five gagillion pages of readings I need to do for school.

That being said, I'm off to read about the Religions of Tibet.

1 comment: